Neuro Note #2 - ALS

Alex Coriell's Journey with ALS


I watched this short documentary on an inspirational young man who had ALS. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. ALS is a degenerative neurological disease that occurs when nerve cells break down and stop supplying the body with functionality. In Alex's experience he lost control of eating, walking, moving his arms, nose, etc. However he never lost joy. I chose this documentary for my second neuro note because I was curious about ALS and Alex's smile drew me in. 

Throughout the process Alex used several different adaptive devices. As an OT student I appreciated seeing this equipment in a home/real-life setting.  Devices used were walkers, wheelchairs, and even an iPad for communication. Alex had started a blog when he was first diagnosed. When he could no longer type due to pain in his fingers he started using the iPad. At first he used his nose to type. When he could no longer use his nose he typed with his eyes! He had a message to share and he was determined to do so. His story and faith is so inspirational. I definitely recommend watching this documentary on ALS. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man from the South

Imposter Phenomenon

Mobility Skills