Interesting OT Settings

Of the OT settings we discussed in class I am most intrigued by the acute care, non-profit organizations. Specifically the Shepherd Center in Atlanta. I didn't know much about what occupational therapists do in spinal care/brain injury settings before today. I mostly observed developmental delays in pediatrics for my observation hours. However, I think the neurological aspect of OT would be neat to observe/intern in.

I have a friend of a friend who suffered a brain injury due to several concussions sustained from football games. His initial prognosis was poor. While he has been through years of therapy he has shown very little meaningful movement. One thing that has given his family hope is his ability to communicate through an iPad that the Shepherd Center set up for him. While it takes him several hours to produce a sentence it is very encouraging to see that he still has the cognitive ability and will power to keep pushing through his recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man from the South

Imposter Phenomenon

Mobility Skills